RMS Orontes was a transatlantic ocean liner built for the Orient Steam Navigation Company by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company of Glasgow.

She sailed on her maiden voyage on 24 October 1902, carrying mail and passengers from London to Suez, Melbourne and Sydney.

This would become her regular route.

After the outbreak of World War I, Orontes initially remained in service on the Britain to Australia route, however in October 1916, she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and converted to a troopship, under the name HMAT (His Majesty’s Australian Transports) Orontes.

She made two further voyages from Britain to Australia, before spending some time on the Africa run.

In 1919, Orontes resumed her Australia service with calls at Gibraltar, Toulon, Port Said, Colombo, Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and an extension to Brisbane.

In 1921, she was laid up in the Thames, and in 1922 she was sold with the intent of converting her to an exhibition vessel, the British Trade.

She was re-acquired by the Orient Line in 1923 and was scrapped several years later, at Inverkeithing, sometime in the mid-1920s.

The owner of the Woodside Hotel at the time was aware that Orontes had a special glass ceiling in her first class restaurant, designed by Oscar Paterson, a contemporary of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

The stained glass ceiling was salvaged from Orontes and transported from Inverkeithing to Aberdour.

The work of Oscar Paterson has been described as “The Epitome of the Glasgow Style” and his work is still celebrated today.

His other works include the Argyll Window in Saint Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh (1896), and windows depicting both the nativity (Mayfield Church, 1912) and the Crucifixion (The Church of the Good Shepherd, Murrayfield).

He designed windows for many other Scottish churches, as well as works for both secular locations such as Westover Hall, Hampshire.

Dinner Menu

Illy Coffee

The Woodside Hotel serves Illy coffee.

Illy is an Italian coffee roasting company that specializes in the production of espresso. The company was founded by Francesco Illy in 1933.

Today, Andrea Illy is the Chairman, representing the third generation of family leadership.

Since the end of the 1980s, Illy has not purchased green coffee from the international commodity markets, but directly from the source.

The company exclusively purchases the arabica species, in particular from Brazil, the largest producer worldwide, but also from Colombia, India, and countries in Africa and Central America.

Illy’s Università del caffè offers free training for growers.

Illy buys between 10% and 30% of coffee produced by growers trained at the University of Coffee at a premium price, but does not require that the growers enter into an exclusive contract with the company.

Illy is the world’s first company to receive the Responsible Supply Chain Process (RSCP) certification of sustainability awarded by the Det Norske Veritas (DNV).